Wednesday, August 13, 2014

How I Rehabilitated an Abused Dog

This post is for my little buddy who is always by my side. Here's the story of how I got Winston:

My middle child is just like her grandmother was and how I am, in at least one way: None of us could or can resist bringing home an animal in need. So the day when my daughter came home with a frightened and starving little creature that immediately took cover under my bed, I knew that we just laid eyes on the newest member of the family. Prince, our rescue from two years prior, would need to learn to share top dog billing in our house. It was obvious this new little guy desperately needed a good home, and we would give it to him.

 Abused Dogs Might Not Learn to Trust

We were told that his prior owners had abused this 8-month-old rescue dog, which we soon named Winston. (Combining "Winston" with "Prince," we nicknamed the canine duo "Princeton.") I knew that, because Winston had been abused at a young age, he might never be a fully trusting dog. According to Dr. Nicholas H. Dodman, a veterinary behaviorist, many dogs never recover from abuse experienced during key formative periods of their lives. It did not take long to see the initial signs of abuse: Winston was starving. We could see his bones through his fur, and he had a peculiar white stripe around his hound dog muzzle. This was scar tissue where his mouth had been bound. We would not find out what it was bound with until several months later.

 Use the Calm and Quiet Approach

Winston, as any abused animal would behave, would not explore his environment. He mostly hid under the bed or under a table with a floor length covering. This is common for an abused animal. According to Dr. Dodman, abused animals often remain quiet and reclusive. I just let Winston know that I was there if he needed me and went about my day. But Prince was not so willing. He wanted to get to know Winston. I put Winston and Prince together in a small space in the basement, and I sat between them. When Prince became too aggressive and pushy, I calmly commanded him to "back off," a behavior we teach our dogs before allowing them to interact with others. I was protecting Winston, and I think that he could tell. After about 15 minutes, I had my daughter bring Prince upstairs, and I sat with Winston and calmly petted him. We were bonding.

Give Them What They Want

Winston was a fast learner. By the next day, he was comfortable eating next to Prince, and he was not hiding as much. By the third day, he wanted to explore outside in the backyard. Later, I took him on a walk with Prince.

The Daily Walk

To this day, Winston lives for his walks. When I have been sitting at my computer too long, he will nudge my leg and spin around in a circle to let me know he wants to go exploring. Although this is really not good behavior, I give Winston some slack because of the past abuse.

Learn to Desensitize

We knew from the start that Winston's mouth had been bound, but we did not realize it was with duct tape until months later, when we were making a craft. Winston, at his normal post at my feet, suddenly shot his tail between his legs and darted up the stairs, shivering uncontrollably. The sound of the duct tape being pulled from its roll must have brought back a dark memory for this poor, loving little dog. It was a heartbreaking moment. But by this time, Winston trusted me, so I walked over to him with the roll of duct tape in my hand. I began petting him with the other hand while I let him sniff the duct tape. I did this for several minutes with the goal of desensitizing Winston to duct tape. Two months later, when my daughters and I did another duct tape craft, Winston did not blink an eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment