Saturday, March 26, 2011

Help for Autism


I grew up in Anaheim, California, so I have had my share of time spent at Disneyland. Naturally, I wanted the same experience for my own children, so my best high school friend and I would take our children to Disneyland whenever we got the chance. I’ll never forget the time, though, when my friend’s little boy wandered off while we were trying to get all the kids their meals. My heart stopped for a moment, and time seemed to stand still as panic set in. Hundreds of people were around us, and it seemed as if we would never find my friend’s son. Fortunately, after five of the longest minutes of our lives, we found him. 

Today, I read in “USA Today” that kids with autism tend to wander off, and even worse, these children sometimes either don’t realize that they are lost or don’t know how to ask for help. My heart goes out to parents who must live and deal with their child wandering off. It’s important for neighbors and friends to understand the gravity of this situation, and it’s important for parents to find the best solution for their particular circumstance.

Maybe my article on Autism Home Programs for Parents can help you determine whether you have an autistic child and the steps you can take to help your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment